Have you ever had troubled nights and days, asking yourself “What should I do with my life?” “Where do I go from here?”
When I was much younger, I was so confused on what I wanted to be in future, I didn’t know which path to follow, I had different career dreams and plans, at a point I wanted to be a Reverend Sister, lol.
Eventually, I had to figure out the things I love to do and invest in them.
I had mentors who were of great inspiration to me and helped me discover my strengths. Right now, I am enjoying an emerging career, though still discovering myself.
So if you are the type that defines yourself by the work you do, then you have to find a career you love, something you are free and comfortable with, that makes you happy and still develops you. Make a realistic motivational map, to know if the career you are in now or about to commence is actually good for you.
Never underestimate your capabilities, your success or failure doesn’t depend on anyone or your place of conception, background or what you have acquired. It is about evaluating where you are now, desire to go farther, not settling for less.
After my graduation from the University, I had so many plans but saw them falling into pieces, I felt I wasn’t where I was supposed to be and was progressing too slowly, I felt I wasn’t fulfilling the expectations people had of me.
I started comparing myself with others, myself-esteem began to suffer. After a while, I decided to block the negativity and began to see the good in me and not settle for less, rather to explore the things I loved.
Real happiness comes from being content and proud of yourself and what you have fun in doing.
Are you one of those struggling hard to make a choice, finding it hard being fulfilled in life, or you are settling for less? Then I recommend these:
• Always stay positive: Leave your worries behind, they demoralize the body and soul. Close your heart from that voice of negativity. Comfort yourself with the thought that everything happens for a reason. Always stay positive. Build up yourself-esteem, so you can be a stellar in your performance.
When you always disturb yourself about everything that happens to you, you end up missing so much happiness that you should have had all along. Never put the key to your happiness in the pocket of anyone or in fear.
• Specialize in what you enjoy best: To choose the best career path is as important as the air you breathe. You can’t be successful if you are specializing in something you don’t believe in or love. Your success or failure in life hangs on this principle. And if you want to be a star in your career, then you have to give in your best. Do it with so much passion, because you are in love with it?
Rev up your skills portfolio. A grand performance attracts a grand reward. To earn more you have to increase your worth. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” (Confucius)
• Appreciate and express your talents: Everyone has a unique gift in them. What is yours? Find out what you are best at and develop it. Your mission is to create a lasting impression that you would be remembered with. And when you have figured out that thing that differentiates you from others, believe in it; never let it go no matter how much criticism you get from your peers and family.
• Relax and Don’t be in a hurry: Life doesn’t come with a deadline for accomplishing anything. You are not in a competition with anybody. Life is in phases, so be happy with how far you have gone now and work hard to make even more progress, you will definitely get there. As Confucius would say, “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go, as far you do not stop.”
• Set High Goals: Challenge yourself. The only limits are the one you permit. Set high goals for yourself and try to achieve them, and become the best in them. As the Latin proverb goes “ if the wind does not serve, take the oars”
• Have a Motivation, Clothe Yourself with an Inspiring Influence: Quit being around people that judge or demoralize you. Be with people that motivate you and see the good in you, and you would be happier. Read inspirational books and quotes and have some at heart. Always believe in yourself and stay happy. God can’t give you anything you can’t handle.
Your satisfaction in life is based on your ability to discover and nourish that specialty that distinguishes you from everyone. People with same core values tend to attract each other, so surround yourself with like minds like yours; they would liven and enlighten you.
Most importantly, learn to love and accept yourself and whatever choices you make; it makes things easier for you and life worth living.
”The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves into the task at hand” (Vince Lombardi).
So I urge you to discover that fulfilling path and have great fun while on it, remember, it is a journey not a destination!
By Chinyere Anaele
Photo Credit: imgarcade.com
About Chinyere Anaele
Anaele Chinyere is a graduate of Theatre Arts, from the University of Benin. She is enjoying a growing career in Media and Communication. She loves looking good, enjoys playing with colors and appreciates people with a good sense of fashion and style. Perfumes are her major fashion weakness.
Chichi loves adventure, travelling, reading and writing poems as well as script for plays. She enjoys baking and experimenting in the kitchen. She’s fun filled, hates dull moments and doesn’t like being alone or idle.