It is no news that most women are so into high-heel shoes, from the wedge, ankle strap heels, stiletto, pointees, etc., It makes them look stylish, elegant, fashionable and attractive. However, as beautiful and attractive as they could be, we don’t know it could damage our feet, back, hips and knees.
Micheal Leibow, a podiatrist (a medical practitioner who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of foot ailment) in Bethseda, Maryland, USA, explained that “You alter the position of your foot and how the foot functions by continuous wearing of high-heels.”
Women love high-heels because; it makes calves look firmer and more pronounced; legs look slender and long, butts look more rounder; it makes her taller and walks seductively. The higher the heels, the greater the feeling and benefits, so we believe.
The Perils in Heels
- High heels make corns to develop on the balls of the foot where weight presses down, the pointy heels result in pinched nerves as it squeezes the toes. Even the strap of the heels causes intense friction, making bumps to form. Women often complain of numbness, sharp pain and burning in the toes and foot from wearing heels.
- High heels can cause inflammation of the tissue at the bottom of the foot, which leads to serious heel pain and may need extensive treatment.
- The knee is the longest joint in the body, but frequent high-heel use, gives much stress on the inner side of the knee.
- As you try to spin around or dance on heels, you make your spine move unnaturally, stressing your spinal cord, triggering pain and numbness down the feet.
- Women may wonder why they have pains on their back, shoulder and neck. Well, high-heels cause this pain on the torso. Medical practitioners say that continuous usage of heels stress the ankles, it also stiffens the archiles tendons, calves gather together, making walking painful, even after switching to flats.
Moderation remains the key word; in the bid to be trendy, you don’t have to be extreme in your fashion. You have to apply wisdom.
Helpful tips in wearing High-heels
- Make sure your shoe is your perfect size and the toe box is wide enough to allow you twist or move your toes.
- For you to have a good posture, you have to push your hips forward, arch your back and push out your chest.
- Don’t go for too long heels, a 3-inches heel is good. When it exceeds that, you give more stress to your feet and back. If you insist on going higher than that, then please sneak in some emergency flats.
- When wearing heels, reduce your walking and standing and avoid running on heels.
- Wear shoes that allow you stretch your back, feet and hips.
- Alternate your choice of shoes day to day. Try wearing more of comfortable shoes, like your flats or trainers.
- If you intend wearing your heels to your place of work, you could wear your flats from your house till you are about to alight from the cab, then you can put on your heels. Avoid wearing heels from the house to the park, down to the office and back home.
- Try getting some feet massage after wearing heels, it is called stiletto recovery. Since high-heels tighten the muscles of feet and calves, you need a foot stretch. Like sitting with legs extended, placing a towel around the feet and gently pulling back, until you feel a stretch at the back of your legs. Hold for one minute and repeat thrice. This helps to recover the muscles of the foot.
It is a jolly feeling when you look good and attractive, but most sweet stuffs do have their bitter after taste at the end, so is good to be cautious and not overdo things.
You deserve to lead a healthy life so let’s not get carried away with the elegance of fashion.